The Basic Things You Should Know About Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is considered one of the main causes of fatalities among women. Although breast cancer can also develop in men, it is more prevalent in women. Here are the basic things you should know about this condition:
Causes and Risk Factors
Many scientists widely believe that breast cancer is caused by a combination of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. However, there is no single identifiable cause for the condition. There are risk factors, though, that can increase the chances of a person to get breast cancer.
These risk factors include:
- being female
- getting older in age
- having a personal history or family history of breast cancer
- being obese
- being exposed to radiation through radiation treatment
- starting the menstrual period before reaching 12 years old
- starting menopause at an older age
- giving birth to a first-born after 30 years old
- never having been pregnant
- going through post-menopausal hormone therapy
- consuming alcohol
It is important to take note that many of those who have multiple risk factors never develop breast cancer. On the other hand, those who have no known risk factors, except being female, may develop this particular condition.
The following are symptoms of possible breast cancer:
- An inverted nipple
- Change in the shape, size or appearance of one or both breasts
- Changes in the skin surrounding the breasts
- A breast lump
- Crusting, flaking, peeling, or scaling of the skin area surrounding the nipple
If you find any of these symptoms, visit your doctor immediately for further tests. Detecting breast cancer as early as possible can help save lives.
Reducing Your Risk of Getting Breast Cancer
Anyone can do something to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer. Most of these actions revolve around lifestyle changes and constant health monitoring. You can follow these tips:
- Strive to live a healthy lifestyle. These include eating nutritious meals and being physically active. A healthy lifestyle will also help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid any vice including smoking and drinking too much alcohol.
- Talk to your physician about the possible side effects of post-menopausal hormone therapy. Check if such therapy can be limited in duration.
- Consult your doctor about undergoing breast cancer screening, especially if you have a high risk of developing the condition.
At Lowenhill Home Care Services, we always make sure to lend a helping hand if you are in need of assistance at home, no matter what condition you may have. We’ll conduct an assessment to determine your specific needs, so call us today.
5 Easy Cures for Sleep Difficulty at Night
People always have issues in going to sleep, especially during nighttime. It is essential for people to get enough rest and sleep at night. It is the only way for our body and mind to take a rest and slow down after thinking and working all day. One of the things that could be an issue in rooting for sleep are the routines we do throughout the day and the things we do before bed.
Here are some tips and tricks to curing difficulty in sleeping at night:
- Stretch your muscles a bit. Stretch your arms and legs. Make a soft twist with your back and hips. It is good to loosen up your muscles before going to bed. It helps you get comfortable and finding the perfect position to help you sleep. It also makes you feel sleepier when you stretch because the muscles are no longer tight and strut.
- Drink two glasses of water to hydrate before going to bed. It is also helpful in sustaining oxygen for the muscles and the mind. It sooths the nerves, inducing better sleep at night. That is why do not skip on the hydration before sleeping at night. People usually skip drinking water before bed because of the stress of a productive day. It is best not to underestimate the help of drinking glasses of water before bed because it is also good for the heart while you sleep.
- Make sure the room is de-cluttered to keep your thoughts calm. When there are too many things all over the place, it also clutters the mind. It is important to keep the place neat and tidy for a peaceful mind. When there are not much things on your mind, you are calmer and more susceptible to falling asleep faster.
- Before going to bed, make sure you have done everything you need to do. It is also a way of de-cluttering your mind. Make sure you do not have work to do or chores to complete. You will feel bothered and anxious if you do not make use of the hours before bedtime. Always be productive and complete your goals for the day as much as you can, to fight the anxiety when night falls.
- Sleep, however, you find comfortable. It is good to have discipline but sometimes, disciplining yourself to certain sleeping habits may not be fit for you. Get comfortable. If you need more pillows, get more pillows. If you need a better blanket, do it. If you need a dimmer light and a less noisy place, make sure you achieve it. Sleep is important always – make sure you get enough rest always.
Lowenhill Home Care Services has your best interest in mind. We always aim to serve you the home care services that will help your well-being at all cost. Visit us now and set an appointment!
6 Morning Routines Every Senior Citizen Should Have
As people age, they go through a substantial amount of growth. Apparently, as people also age, there are certain things that need to be done in order to maintain the wellness people have. It is important to put great effort in working hard on our health as well.
- A workout routine is important for senior citizens since it will keep them physically and mentally fit. One of the best ways to start the morning for everyone is through sweating out and staying fit with workout routines. Get a few steps with Zumba sessions, or go for an early morning jog. Absorb the vitamin D of the sun. You do not have to stay for a long period of time. Give yourself thirty minutes to work out.
- A healthy breakfast with a tea is very important for the daily productivity and body readiness. A heavy meal in the morning helps us get through the day with the needed energy for the body and mind. Give it thirty minutes to an hour and you can help yourself healthily digest the food through drinking tea. It would take thirty minutes to an hour so the body would have time to absorb the necessary nutrients for the body before drinking the tea.
- An unwinding few minutes to rest and find comfort is important before tackling productivity throughout the day. One of the best things about unwinding to do the things you want and love would loosen up the pressure and stress of facing the day ahead. Make sure to take a few minutes off your responsibilities and obligations to indulge in the activities that could help relax your brain.
- A healthy morning routine such as cooking for the people you love or keeping the chores at home productive. These are just some of the responsibilities that are healthy and can help improve other aspects of your life. It will be good for strengthening the family bond and implementing discipline among the household.
- Meditating for a few minutes before your activities is important for the body, mind, and soul. It helps you keep your focus. It will be good for in maintaining positivity throughout the day. It is also a great way to clear your mind from all the unnecessary and unimportant worries we keep ourselves troubled with.
- Start the day with a social company with others and a positive attitude. May it be greeting people a good morning or planning the day with your companion, do it. It will keep your mood up for healthier progress in seizing the day. It will also be a great way to influence other people to live a lifestyle of health and fitness.
Do these 6 morning routines every morning and it will change your perspective on living life fully. It may take discipline and dedication to live a life of health and fitness, but it is worth it.
Lowenhill Home Care Services always provides dedicated services to give the best home care there is to serve you. Set your appointment with us now!