Health Tips for the Holidays
December is the season of sharing, loving, and eating! All the parties and other holiday festivities disrupt daily routines for several weeks. But don’t let these weeks-long celebrations get in the way of making healthy food choices. When everyone seems to be splurging and indulging in all kinds of food, stick to your meal plan. Lowenhill Home Care Services has rounded up five tips for you:
- Be mindful of your distance from the food table to outsmart the buffet. Standing next to the food table spread would only make it easier for you to reach out for the food. Keep your distance to prevent yourself from mindlessly reaching out for food as you socialize.
- Don’t deprive yourself but only choose the food that you don’t normally get to eat all throughout the year. Savor every small portion and make sure that you include it in your meal plan count.
- Keep moving; don’t forget to include physical activities—this is your secret weapon to reduce stress and compensate for the excess food you had. Take a walk with family and friends after meals to burn those calories.
- Sleep well and right. Parties and celebrations mean staying out late and cutting back on sleep. Sleep deprivation may cause you to eat more and go for high-fat, high-sugar food. So, do get the recommended amount of sleep every night to prevent you from mindless and overeating.
- Remember what really matters. Spending quality time with your family and friends is what this season is really all about. Focus on creating fond memories filled with love and joy with your loved ones.
At Lowenhill Home Care Services, we care about you and the choices you make. What other healthy choices do you make during the holidays? Share them with us!
Keeping Up with Routines During the Holidays
The holidays are finally upon us and with the season comes a lot of hustle and bustle in preparation for family gatherings, last-minute gift shopping, and cooking. Tradition is one of the most important parts of the festivities, especially for seniors who have been doing them for a long time. However, with the busyness of the season, it may get difficult for them to keep up with their medical and health needs.
Lowenhill Home Care Services can help seniors maintain proper routine and protocol, even during the holiday season!
Many seniors’ health routines can be disrupted to accommodate holiday events and others, causing them stress and other negative symptoms.
Our caregivers are trained to keep your loved one’s care needs as their top priority. This may sound like a very simple task; however, it is very crucial to keeping your senior in a healthy state. When seniors are out and about more than they usually are over the holidays, chances are they may not be able to take their medication at the right time or even at all.
When on the road, nutrition and hydration can also vary from what your loved one is used to.
Having a caregiver that can work closely with your senior can ensure that their needs are met and adapted to properly.
Get quality home care services by contacting our office here and setting up an appointment.
We would be happy to help you with what you need.